10 Coaching Guidelines
A coach should be enthusiastic without being intimidating. They should be sensitive to the children’s feelings and genuinely enjoy spending time with them. A coach should be dedicated to serving children and understand that football provides physical and emotional growth for its participants. Remember, FLAG is for the children.
- A coach needs to realize that they are a teacher, not a drill sergeant. They should help children learn and work to improve their skills. Personal gains are never a consideration. The job does not depend on winning. The best interest of the child transforms into the best interests of the game.
- The safety and welfare of the children never can be compromised. A coach will consider these factors above all others.
- Be patient. Don’t push children beyond limits in regards to practice. Children have many daily pressures - the football experience should not be one of them. Playing football should be fun.
- Care more about the players as people than as athletes. Our Flag Football program is a means to an end, not an end in itself.
- A coach should encourage players to dream and set lofty goals. It is important to remain positive and refrain from discouraging remarks. Negative comments are remembered far more often than positive affirmations.
- Remember that the rules of the game are designed to protect the participants, as well as to set a standard for competition.
- Never circumvent or take advantage of the rules by teaching deliberate misconduct. A coach who puts his or her opponents’ team at risk should not be involved with children.
- Be the first person to demonstrate good sportsmanship. Take a low profile during the game and allow the kids to be the center of attention.
- Parents and players place a lot of trust and confidence in the coach. The coach has an important role in molding the athletic experience of the child.
- A coach can measure success by the respect he gets from his or her players, regardless of victories or defeats. Children who mature socially and physically while participating in sports are the best indication of good coaching.